Full reverse. A month and a half after having decentralized half of the supplies of anti-Covid-19 vaccines in India, Narendra Modi, eventually hearing the distress calls from the federated states of the Indian Union, announced on Monday June 7 that the federal state would regain control from June 21. In a televised address, the Hindu nationalist leader said that 75% of vaccine purchases would now be made from Delhi, the remaining 25% being left to the free choice of private clinics, in direct contact with pharmaceutical laboratories.
As part of the new system, “Anyone aged 18 or over can be vaccinated free of charge”, added the Prime Minister, thus satisfying the opposition, which had been asking for it for many weeks. Since the beginning of May, only the vaccination of people over 45 years old was organized by the federal state, which quickly led to insane price disparities between the different territories of the subcontinent, as well as to significant shortages, foreign vaccine manufacturers refusing to negotiate orders, on a case-by-case basis, with local communities.
This recovery comes after the virulent position taken by the Supreme Court against the national vaccine policy. 1is June, the highest magistrates of the country had qualified the latter of“Arbitrary and irrational” and demanded from the executive “The establishment of a clear roadmap until the end of the year 2021”. It must be said that the giant of South Asia (1.38 billion inhabitants) is very late. To date, only 46.6 million Indians (3.4% of the population) have received their two injections.
Launched on January 16, the vaccination campaign managed to peak at 4 million bites per day but, to achieve the objective set by the Modi government at the start of the year – to vaccinate 300 million people by the end of the year. month of August – the rate should increase to 7 million per day. According to Sukumar Ranganathan, columnist at theHindustan Times, a part “Significant” of the country nevertheless received “Some form of protection” against the coronavirus: 189 million people were entitled to at least one injection, “Which represents 20% of those over 18” (940 million people).
You have 54.21% of this article to read. The rest is for subscribers only.